Saturday, January 17, 2009

New Volumes


  • World Without End, Ken Follett (NAL 2008).  A gift.  A story of the Medieval struggle between old and new ideas set against the backdrop of the Black Death.
  • Applied Economics: Thinking Beyond Stage One, Thomas Sowell (Basic, 2008).  B&N.  A new edition of Sowell's classic work. 
  • Murder in Mesopotamia, Agatha Christie (Black Dog & Leventhal 2007).  B&N.  My quest to read everything Christie wrote continues.
  • The Tuesday Club Murders, Agatha Christie (Black Dog & Leventhal 2007).  B&N.  See my comments supra.
  • Sad Cypress, Agatha Christie (Black Dog & Leventhal 2007).  B&N.  See my comments supra.
  • Death on the Nile, Agatha Christie (Black Dog & Leventhat 2007).  B&N.  See my comments supra.
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train, Agatha Christie (Black Dog & Leventhal 2007).  B&N.  See my comments supra.
  • Appointment with Death, Agatha Christie (Black Dog & Leventhal 2007).  B&N.  See my comments supra.
  • Acing Income Taxation, Samuel A Donaldson (West 2008).  Amazon (used).  A well-thumbed copy of an awesome (I'm told) book that provides a step-by-step approach to dealing with the tax code.
  • On Chesil Beach, Ian McEwan (Anchor 2008).  Alabama Booksmith.  A newlywed couple struggle with the pressures of the honeymoon suite.
  • They Eyre Affair: A Thursday Next Novel, Jasper Fforde (Penguin 2003).  Alabama Booksmith.  Recommended to me as mindless reading by a bookstore staff member.  I require mindless reading, you see, because the law requires most of my finite brainpower.
  • The Widows of Eastwick, John Updike (Knopf 2008).  Alabama Booksmith.  Signed First Edition.  Long-awaited sequel to Updike's popular The Witches of Eastwick.
  • Necropolis: London and Its Dead, Catharine Arnold (Simon & Schuster 2007).  Alabama Booksmith.  The changing ways in which London disposes of its dead. 
  • Fundamentals of Partnership Taxation: Cases and Materials, Stephen A. Lind (Foundation 2008).  Samford U. Bookstore.  The intricacies (and near-incomprehensibilities) of the law of partnership taxation.
Fourteen additions to my heavy-laden shelves this week.  A bit much, I'll agree, but those Agatha Christie's were on sale and match the others I have.  I couldn't just pass them up.  I know they're mindless drivel, but, as I've explained, the law is a jealous mistress and demanding of my faculties.

No comments:

Post a Comment